Yield: 1 cup
Ingredients½ onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp curry powder
2 to 3 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
2 to 3 tomatoes, chopped
Salt to taste
- Sauté the onion and garlic in oil until the onion is soft.
- Add the curry powder, tomatoes and jalapeños, and simmer over a low heat until the tomatoes are cooked through and the mixture has a sauce-like consistency.
- Season with salt and lime to taste.
- Bottle in a clean mason jar.
Achar - Alternative recipe
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
- 16 ripe juicy limes
- 8 hot peppers
- ¼ cup vinegar, salt to taste
- Wash and cut the limes into squares.
- Squeeze out juice and store in a cup.
- Cut hot peppers into quarters.
- Mix cut limes, peppers, lime juice, vinegar, and salt. Shake well and bottle them tightly with a lid.
- Keep the bottle exposed to sun for 2 to 3 days, after which the achar is ready.