Makes 3 - 4 portions
Ingredients1½ oz cornflour
1 small strip of lemon rind, or
A few drops of vanilla essence
1 oz castor sugar
1 pt milk
- Infuse ¾ pint of milk with lemon rind or essence, and heat. Remove rind if used.
- Mix the cornflour into a smooth paste using ¼ pt cold milk.
- Strain the heated milk onto the cornflour, stirring well.
- Return the mixture to the pan, bring to boiling point then cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar.
- Pour the mixture into a wet mould and put aside to set.
- When set, turn onto a dish and serve with jam, stewed fruit or custard sauce.