Ingredients8 oz fresh cornmeal
2 oz flour
½ tsp salt
1½ tbsp baking powder
2 oz pork fat
½ oz shortening
Water to bind
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Chop the pork fat finely and add to the flour mixture. Add the shortening and mix thoroughly, using fingertips or a fork until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Use water to bind to a soft dough. Knead lightly, cut into pieces the size of a small egg and roll into balls.
- Flatten the balls into ¼ inch thick rounds and fry in smoking hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain well before serving.