Cornmeal cake with raisins and cherries.
Ingredients1 tbsp plus ½ lb butter, softened
2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp ground nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
Pinch of salt
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 tbsp light rum
1 cup seedless raisins
¼ cup candied cherries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- With a pastry brush, spread 1 tablespoon of softened butter over the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform cake pan.
- Sift the cornmeal and flour together. In a deep bowl, cream the remaining ½ pound of butter, the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the cornmeal mixture together by beating and mashing against the sides of the bowl with a large spoon until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg and salt and, beating constantly, slowly pour in the eggs in a thin stream.
- In a separate bowl, beat in about 1 cup of the cornmeal mixture, then ¼ cup of the milk, adding alternately until the cornmeal and milk have been combined.
- Stir in the rum, raisins and cherries, and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 1½ hours, or until the top of the cake is golden and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 4 or 5 minutes before removing the sides of the springform. Then, with the aid of a large metal spatula, slide it off the bottom of the pan onto a cake rack to cool completely.
Makes one 8-inch round cake.