Ingredients½ lb cooked fish
¼ to ½ lb yams, mashed
½ oz margarine
1 tbsp chopped eschallot and celery
Pepper and salt
Pinch of nutmeg or mace
1 egg (for coating)
1 egg (to bind)
Dried bread crumbs
- Remove the skin and bones from the fish and break up the remainder finely.
- Add the yam, eschallot, celery, salt, pepper, lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Add margarine to the mixture, with enough egg to bind it together.
- Turn onto a floured board. Shape into a neat roll and cut into 6 equal portions.
- Reshape the slices into neat, flat, round cakes.
- Coat the cakes with the beaten egg or batter and dried bread crumbs.
- Fry in oil and drain well when golden brown.
- Serve garnished with fried parsley.