Ingredients½ lb dried salt fish
2 - 3 blades eschallot
Pepper to taste
½ pint milk
2 oz flour
¼ tsp baking powder
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and milk. Stir until there are no lumps, then beat well for 5 minutes, and leave to stand.
- While it is standing, thoroughly scald the fish, then bone, skin and pound or flake it.
- Chop the eschallot very finely.
- Mix the fish and seasonings together. Add to the batter. Drop by the spoonful into smoking hot oil.
- Turn as required and cook until golden brown -- about 2 to 3 minutes.
Note: Fresh cooked fish may be used instead of salt fish, and in this case, add half teaspoon of salt.