Ingredients1 lb flour
4 oz margarine or lard
½ tsp salt
¼ oz yeast
½ tsp sugar
- Sprinkle the yeast into 3 or 4 tablespoons of warm water, to which sugar has been added. Leave to sponge.
- Sift the flour and salt together, then add the margarine or lard and mix in using the fingertips or a fork. Mix thoroughly until it looks like fine crumbs.
- When the yeast is ready, add it to the mixture of flour and margarine/lard, with enough warm water to make a soft dough.
- Knead the dough well until smooth, and put it to rise in a warm place until the mixture doubles in size.
- Cut into pieces the size of a small egg and then roll the pieces into balls.
- Flatten out to 1/8 inch thickness and put to rise again for 20 minutes.
- Fry in smoking hot oil, then drain well and serve hot.
Note: May be served with fried salt fish and other meats.