Ingredients2 large sweet potatoes, grated
1 cup lemon juice
6 cups (3 pounds) sugar
1½ tbsp whole cloves
1½ tbsp ground mace
1 gallon water
1 egg white, beaten
- Place the grated sweet potatoes in a strainer and run cold water through to wash well. Place the potato in a 2-gallon container with the lemon juice.
- Combine the sugar, cloves, and mace with the water, and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Cool the sugar mixture and strain.
- Add the sugar mixture to the potato. Stir in the egg white.
- Cover and let stand for 1 week. Strain and bottle. Makes 1 gallon of fly.
You might also wish to try Mango Fly.