Pastry8 oz flour
4 oz margarine
½ tsp salt
Cold water to bind
FillingFresh or canned fruit, suitably cut up and prepared
Glaze¼ pt water or fruit juice
Juice of ½ lime or lemon
2 tsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
1 oz sugar, if water is used
- Make the pastry and line a greased flan ring.
- Place a circle of grease proof paper on the pastry in the flan ring to line it, then fill with rice. The rice is used to form the pastry into the desired shape.
- Place in a moderately hot oven. When the pastry is set, discard the rice and place the flan ring back in the oven to finish cooking - 20 to 30 minutes in all.
- Place on a dish and arrange the fruit in the formed pastry.
- In a small saucepan, dissolve the sugar slowly in the water or juice. Boil for 10 minutes with the lemon juice.
- Add blended arrowroot or cornstarch and cook until clear.
- Colour according to fruit used, and coat the fruit when the syrup is cool and just beginning to thicken.