Ingredients1½ lb mixed dried fruit
2 oz mixed peel
1 tsp mixed spice
4 oz chopped peanuts
8 oz soft brown sugar
8 oz margarine
¼ tsp baking powder
8 oz flour
½ bottle red wine and/or rum
1 lb sugar for making caramel
2 tbsp red wine for making caramel
- Wash and dry the fruits, then grind or chop the fruits, nuts and fruit peel together.
- Caramel: Heat the sugar and when melted, add the wine. Simmer until dark colour is obtained.
- Mix the wine and the rum and pour over the fruits. Leave to soak for a day or more (up to three months).
- Grease and doubly line an 8 inch cake pan.
- Cream the sugar and margarine. Add eggs one at a time (beaten or unbeaten).
- Add fruits and stir well. Add enough caramel to make it as dark as desired.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and powdered spice together. Add a little at a time and fold in. Mix to a soft dropping consistency using wine or rum.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in a slow oven, 300°F for 2 hours (on middle shelf).
- Pour wine and rum over immediately after cake is baked. Repeat 3 or 4 times.
Note: Store-bought caramel may also be used.