3 oz flour
3 oz sugar
¼ tsp vanilla essence
1 - 2 tsp tepid water
2 tbsp jam, or butter cream filling
- Grease a swiss roll pan (12 x 7 inches) and line with greased paper.
- Sieve the flour and, separately, beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Add the essence to the egg and sugar mixture, mix, and then fold into the flour.
- Add enough tepid water for a pouring consistency.
- Turn into the prepared pan and spread out to the corners.
- Bake in a hot oven (450°F) for 7 - 10 minutes.
- Turn onto a damp cloth covered with sugared paper, trim the edges, spread with heated jam and roll up.
- When cold, dredge with icing sugar.
Note: If butter cream is used, roll up the swiss roll and leave to cool. When cool, spread with filling.