Ingredients1 x 2 to 3 lb chicken
1 cup water
½ cup vinegar
1½ cups ketchup
½ cup lemon juice
½ tsp allspice
4 tsp piquante sauce
1 - 2 tsp wirri-wirri peppers, chopped
¼ lb margarine
1 onion, chopped
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp black or white pepper
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1/8 cup vinegar
- Wash and trim away any extra fat from the chicken, then wipe over with vinegar and water.
- Mix all the other ingredients together in a pan.
- Heat to boiling point, then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Barbecue the chicken, or bake in an oven at 400°F for about 1 hour.
- After about 20 minutes, and before it is done, baste both sides of the meat with the sauce.
- Continue cooking at a low heat, turning the meat regularly to prevent it from burning.
Note: Spare ribs may be done in the same way.