Ingredients1 lb ghee or margarine
1 lb flour
14 oz sugar
4 oz dried fruits
1 tsp essence
Milk to mix
½ tsp cinnamon
- Parch the flour to a light brown colour, stirring constantly and pressing towards the sides of the saucepan to mash any lumps.
- Mix the sugar, milk, essence, spice and beaten egg in a basin until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the sieved parched flour, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the ghee or margarine, then add the mixture and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture absorbs the fat.
- Add fruit and cook until the mixture holds together.
Alternative Recipe for Mahanbhog
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients1 lb. margarine 1 lb flour
1 lb sugar
½ lb dried fruit
¼ lb preserved red cherries
1½ pints milk
- Mix together milk, sugar, beaten eggs, essence and grated nutmeg.
- Heat mixture, but do not boil.
- Melt margarine in a large stew pan over slow heat. Add sifted flour and stir well until it is light brown.
- Add milk mixture, and stir well. Add fruits and continue stirring until the entire mixture is of a thick consistency. Remove from heat.