Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients3 oz. margarine ¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup molasses
1¼ lb flour
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tbsp salt
¼ tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ lb raisins
¼ tsp ground cinnamon (or other spices)
½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease loaf pan.
- Boil the water in a small saucepan. When water is boiling, remove from fire.
- Add margarine to the water. When margarine is melted, add sugar and molasses.
- Place mesh strainer over a large bowl and sift flour, ginger, salt, baking powder and baking powder.
- Add raisins and spices to the water in the saucepan.
- Beat egg and add to the flour bowl.
- Add liquid from the saucepan to the bowl and mix well. (The batter will be very thin).
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.