Ingredients½ oz yeast
¼ cup lukewarm water
¼ cup orange juice
2 tsp grated orange rind
½ cup sugar
1½ tsp salt
3 oz melted margarine
7½ cups sifted flour
1¼ cups warm water for mixing
- Soften the yeast in lukewarm water. Place 2 cups sifted flour in a bowl. To 1¼ cups of water, add the orange juice, grated orange rind, sugar, salt and melted margarine.
- Add this to the flour in the bowl. Add the beaten egg and the yeast, and beat thoroughly.
- Add the remaining 5½ cups of flour to make a moderately soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (5 to 8 minutes).
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size.
- Punch down, divide dough into equal portions and shape into loaves.
- Place in greased pans and allow to rise again.
- Bake in a moderate oven (375°F) for about 45 minutes. When done, brush the tops with melted butter.