Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients2 lb stewing beef, cubed
8 cups water
1 lb callaloo
1 lb kale, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove
1 hot pepper, chopped
½ lb yams
½ lb eddoes
Salt and pepper to taste
12 okras cut in rings
1 oz margarine
4 oz cooked shrimp
2 tbsp coconut cream
- Simmer the beef in 6 cups of water in a large pot, covered, for one hour.
- Boil the callaloo and kale in another pot with 2 cups of water until tender.
- Puree greens and liquid.
- Add onion, garlic, hot pepper, yams, eddoes, salt and pepper to beef mixture.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender and soup appears to be thickened.
- Saute okras in margarine until tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Gently add the okras to the soup with shrimp and creamed coconut.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
Note: This spicy soup is not to be confused with Pepper Pot (stew).