Ingredients10 lb brisket (for salt beef) or pig tails
1 lb salt
1 tsp powdered spice
4 oz brown sugar
2 tsp saltpetre
- Mix the salt, spice, sugar and saltpetre together thoroughly. This is the curing mixture.
- Cut the meat into small pieces, split tails down the middle and cut up.
- Wipe the meat with a clean damp towel.
- Rub the pieces well with half of the curing mixture, and pack the treated meat into a clean container. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
- Put away the other portion of the mixture.
- After 7 days, rub the meat again using the remainder of the mixture, and return the meat to the refrigerator. Leave the meat for another 2 weeks turning it once or twice.
- After three weeks the pickled meat should be ready for use.