Ingredients2 - 3 small firm yellow plantains
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda to every cup of crushed plantain
1 tbsp herbs
½ tsp white pepper
1 oz margarine
Oil for frying
- Peel the plantains, boil, then mash/pound them when cooked. Put to cool.
- Add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Shape into cakes 1½ inch in diameter.
- Fry in smoking hot oil until brown.
- Drain on brown paper to remove excess oil.
Note: 1 tbsp sugar may be used instead of salt if a sweet is desired. In that case, the herbs and pepper would be omitted.
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients3 small, firm, yellow plantains
Salt to taste
½ tsp baking powder to every cup of crushed plantains
2 ozs margarine
- Peel and boil plantains.
- Pound or mash and add other ingredients. Mix.
- Shape into cakes one and a half inches in diameter.
- Fry in smoking hot oil and fry.