Ingredients1 large green plantain (about 1 pound)
- Fill a deep fryer or large heavy saucepan with vegetable oil to a depth of 2 to 3 inches, and heat to about 375°F.
- With a paring knife, trim off the ends and cut in half crosswise. Make 4 slits lengthwise in the skin of the plantain halves, taking care not to slice the banana-like flesh inside. Use your fingers to pull off the skin.
- Slice the plantain crosswise or diagonally into paper-thin rounds.
- Deep fry the plantain slices a dozen or so at a time, frying for 3 to 4 minutes, and turning them until golden brown on both sides.
- Fish them out of the oil and place on a plate lined with brown paper to drain the oil.
- When all the chips are fried, sprinkle lightly with salt and serve, either warm or at room temperature.
Makes about 2 cups of plantain chips which are eaten as a snack, in much the same way as potato chips.