Ingredients1 large piece of fish
Salt and vinegar
- De-scale, wash and trim the fish.
- Separately, boil enough water to cover the fish, add salt and vinegar in the ratio of 1 tablespoon of salt and ½ tablespoon of vinegar (lime juice) to every quart of water.
- Put the fish into a boiling water and simmer very gently until cooked. For a large piece of fish, allow 10 minutes for every pound, and 10 minutes over on the whole. For small pieces, allow 15 - 20 minutes.
- Drain well and place on a hot dish.
- Decorate with slices of lime. Serve with butter or tomato sauce.
Note: The vinegar is used to whiten the fish. It should not be used when cooking dark oily fish.