Ingredients2 oz butter
2 oz lard
8 oz plain flour
1 tbsp cooking wine
1 tbsp cream or 1 tsp milk
1 tbsp water
1 oz sugar
Filling5 oz rice
1½ pt milk
2 eggs, separated
2 oz sugar
Pinch of cinnamon
1 oz chopped nuts
- Grease an 8 x 11 x 1 inch baking pan thoroughly.
- Rub the butter and the lard into the flour. Add the liquids and sugar and knead into the dough. Chill thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice with milk until creamy.
- Add the egg yolks, sugar and cinnamon to the rice mixture and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Roll out the dough and use it to line the pan. Cover the base with jam and spread the mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and bake in a moderate oven (350°F) for about 45 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold, with cream or jam sauce.