Roast Chicken with Bread Stuffing
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients4 lbs. roasting chicken 1 tbsp vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp hot chili powder (cayenne)
1 tsp minced garlic
3 tsp margarine
1 large onion, finely chopped
½ cup chopped giblets
2 cups bread crumbs
1 cup mashed potato
½ cup water
- Wash chicken thoroughly inside and out. Dry.
- Rub body cavity with a mixture of vinegar, half the seasonings, and 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- To make stuffing, saute (fry lightly), onions in margarine until tender. Add giblets and remaining seasonings. Fry for about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, combine with bread crumbs, or moistened, broken bread, and mashed potatoes. Mix thoroughly. Cool.
- Pile stuffing lightly into body cavity and neck of the bird. Close openings with skewers or sew up with needle and thread.
- Place bird, breast upwards, on a rack in roaster. Cover loosely with a tent of foil. Add water to roaster.
- Roast for 20 minutes per lb., plus 20 minutes, at 350 degrees F. Uncover bird for last 30 minutes of cooking time to brown evenly. Baste with pan drippings.