Ingredients8 oz flour
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of powdered ginger, or mixed spice
Milk to mix
3 oz sugar
4 oz dried fruit
1 oz candied peel
3 oz margarine
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the margarine and rub in with fingertips.
- Stir in the other ingredients, except the egg and milk, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the beaten egg and bind to a stiff dough, adding milk if necessary.
- Place in lumps on a greased and floured pan, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes in a moderate oven. Makes 12 - 14 buns.
Note: Coconut may be used instead of fruit.