Delicious coconut yeast bread.
Recipe from "Caribbean Cuisine" By Dr. Betty "K" ISBN 0-919845-77-0
Ingredients1 tbsp dry yeast
¼ cup warm water
¼ cup sugar
1 cup milk
¼ cup shortening
1 tsp salt
3 cups flour
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp butter
1 egg white
Filling1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla essence
5 drops strawberry food colouring
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of sugar. Mix and let stand.
- Warm the milk, combine the shortening, salt and sugar; add flour and egg. Knead to make a moderately stiff dough. Shape into a ball.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover; let rise to double in size for about 1 hour. Combine all the filling ingredients and set aside.
- Punch down the dough and divide in half. Roll each half into an 12 inch x 8 inch rectangle, and brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle half of the filling mixture on each rectangle of dough. Roll up lengthwise and seal the edges.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Brush the rolls with beaten egg white. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve. Yields 2 rolls.