Spiced Candied Sweet Potatoes
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients2 cups water
1 cup packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons butter
1 whole lemon peel
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into half-inch thick slices
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, brown sugar, butter, lemon peel, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato slices and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover, and cook until the sweet potatoes are just tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 15 minutes. Remove the lemon peel.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sweet potatoes to a warmed serving dish.
- Pour some of the syrup over the top and serve immediately.