Spicy Marinated Chicken in Orange Sauce
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients4 large onions, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 (3½ lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium carrot chopped
1 medium celery rib, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 fresh hot pepper, seeded and minced
½ cup chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 to 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels. Drain the marinade in a colander set over a large bowl, reserving both the liquids and the solids.
- Heat oil. Cook the chicken over medium-high heat, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes per second. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside.
- Add the reserved marinated onions and the carrot, celery, garlic, and pepper in a pot and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onions have softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and the reserved marinade. Bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken to pot, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the chicken shows no sign of pink at the bone when prodded with the tip of a sharp knife. This should be for 35 to 45 minutes. Serve over hot rice.