6 carilas (karelas)
1 lb ground beef (or ground pork / turkey or tofu)
Thyme (fine or thick leaf)
1 clove garlic
Beef broth or stock
Seasoned breadcrumbs (crushed croutons can be used)
Some people like the bitter taste, but you can cut and soak the carila (karela) in water overnight to remove some of the bitter.
Make the Filling
- Season the ground beef (or alternative) according to taste, using ground thyme, chopped wiri wiri pepper / black pepper, some Lawry's seasoning, finely chopped garlic / onions, a little salt (or Mrs.Dash).
- Stir fry, then add a little liquid (beef broth is good) to the ground beef mixture until it softens.
- Add a little seasoned breadcrumbs and allow to cool to stuffing consistency.
Stuff the carilas
- Cut the carilas lengthwise, scoop out and discard the insides, then cut off the pointy ends if desired.
- Put the stuffing in the carilas and reassemble, using long tooth picks or kabob sticks to hold them together. Cotton string can also be used to bind.
- Some cooks like to pan fry / deep fry the stuffed carilas at this point, browning all around. This step may be skipped if you prefer.
- Add a little water to some coconut milk, then season with black pepper, chopped onions, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash seasoning, Lawry's seasoning, green onions etc. according to taste.
- Pour over stuffed carila and simmer until tender. Serve on a bed of rice.