Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients4 chicken legs and thighs, unjointed and deboned
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sherry
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 medium-size fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
1 cup chicken stock
1 carrot cleaned and cut into long strips
4 stalks chive or scallions
4 long strips ripe plantain
4 cabbage leaves
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, sherry, salt and pepper, and cornstarch into a thin paste.
- Spoon the paste into the cavities of the deboned parts of the chicken.
- On each cabbage leaf, place 2 to 3 strips of carrot, one stalk of chive, and strip of plantain.
- Fold the cabbage leaf to enclose them and form a roll.
- Fill each cavity of the deboned chicken parts with a stuffed cabbage roll. Fold over the exposed portion of the thigh with the loose chicken skin. Tie the leg at intervals with kitchen thread so it appears elongated as a sausage.
- Heat oil in pot and saute the onions and ginger for a minute.
- Put in the chicken portions and brown. Add stock. Cover and cook on low heat for 35 minutes.
- Remove legs from pot on to a platter. Remove strings from legs and cut diagonally in one-inch cross-sectional pieces.
- Arrange pieces on a serving dish, pour sauce over them and serve hot.