Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients1 unpeeled medium (9 oz.) sweet potato
6 tbsp melted margarine
½ cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
1 large beaten egg
2½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
- In a medium saucepan, boil the potato for about 20 minutes, in unsalted water, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Let cool. Pare and mash until smooth. Let the cooking water cool to 105 degrees F. or less.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, stir the mashed sweet potato with the melted margarine until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in the milk, sugar, and egg.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Then, stir in the liquids to combine. Knead briefly in the bowl to form a soft dough.
- On a floured work surface, roll out dough to three-quarters of an inch in thickness. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. Gather up the scraps, re-roll, and repeat process until 12 biscuits are formed. Place biscuits into ungreased baking sheet. Bake in middle rack for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.