Ingredients1 pkg. active dry yeast
¼ cup warm water, 110°F
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk, scalded
2 eggs and 1 egg yolk beaten
1 egg white
1 tsp grated lemon rind or orange rind
2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
4½ to 5 cups flour
- Soften the yeast in warm water.
- Add butter/shortening, sugar, salt, lemon rind, lemon extract and vanilla extract to the scalded milk. Let cool to luke warm.
- When cool add yeast, eggs and enough flour to make a batter. Beat well.
- Add more flour, a little at a time, to make a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until satiny.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until double in size.
- Punch down, shape into rolls and let rise again.
- Brush with egg white mixed with water and bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 min. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen rolls.