Pone is a very heavy, solid, moist cake-like dessert.
Ingredients2 medium sweet cassava
1 small dried coconut
2 tbsp butter or margarine
6 oz sugar
¼ tsp spice and black pepper
½ tsp essence
¼ tsp salt
- Peel, wash, grate and mix the cassava and coconut together.
- Work in the butter with a fork.
- Add the other ingredients and enough water to bind stiffly.
- Put the mixture into a greased dripping pan, where it should be about 1 inch thick.
- Bake in a moderate oven until crisp and brown on top.
- Cut into 1½ to 2 inch squares before serving.
Ingredients2 cassava tubers
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup currants
2 tbsp shortening
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Peel, wash and grate cassava.
- Grate the coconut meat.
- Mix all ingredients with enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Spread in a well-greased shallow baking dish.
- Bake until brown, about 90 minutes.