Ingredients8 oz grated cheese
¾ pt milk
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp dry mustard
1 tsp grated onion
5 egg yolks
2 tbsp flour
5 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Place a band of aluminum foil along the sides of a 2 quart soufflé dish, extending 2 inches above the rim. Grease the dish well.
- Heat the milk in a double saucepan to just below a boiling point (about 2 minutes).
- To the milk, add the cheese, salt, mustard and onion, and stir until the cheese melts (about 1 - 2 minutes longer).
- Separately, beat the egg yolks and blend the flour in. Add a small amount of hot cheese sauce to egg yolks. Mix well. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to cheese sauce.
- Cook over water until the sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
- Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until the whites are stiff.
- Gently fold the cheese mixture into the egg whites, then pour into the soufflé dish.
- Place the dish in a pan of hot water and bake in a moderate oven (350°F) for about 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer until golden brown. Serve at once.