Ingredients1½ lb sugar
1 can evaporated milk, or
1 can condensed milk diluted with an equal amount of water
1 oz margarine
2 - 3 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted and added to the sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Melt the margarine in a pot (not enamel). Add the sugar, cocoa mixture and milk, and place on a moderate heat.
- Stir constantly until the sugar is melted, taking care to ensure that the sugar melts before the mixture boils.
- Boil for about ¾ hour, stirring occasionally.
- Test the mixture by dropping a little cold water in it -- at this stage it should form a soft ball.
- Add the essence. Remove from the heat and beat well until the mixture thickens and begins to leave the side of the pan.
- Pour into a greased swiss roll pan, and when cool but not hard, cut into squares.