Ingredients1 lb sugar
¼ pint water
1 cup peeled and grated coconut
½ tsp almond essence
- Boil the sugar and water together until it spins a thread.
- Add the grated coconut and stir until the mixture thickens, then add essence.
- Remove from the fire and beat lightly until it looks grainy. Pour half into a greased pan.
- Colour the remainder and quickly pour over the first half.
- When cool but not hard, cut into blocks.
Note: Although called Coconut "Ice", this dessert is not frozen, but is served at room temperature. Of course it can be refrigerated if desired.